Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Game Masters, Get Your Hands on a Puzzle Board Immediately!

I am not a huge TikTok person. While I have nothing against short-form video clips, it just isn't my preferred form of entertainment, as I'm one of those people who tends to do nine different things at once. However, someone close to me sent me a particular video I have since lost in the shuffle of electronic media, but the advice in it was so good I wanted to boost the signal on it today.

If you are a Dungeon Master, or just a TTRPG player in general, get your hands on a puzzle board ASAP!

Seriously, look at this thing!

Before we get into the nitty gritty this week, don't forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter to get all my updates right in your inbox. Also, if you've got a bit of spare cash that you'd like to use to help keep the wheels turning, consider becoming a Patreon patron! Also, be sure you're following all of my followables, check out my LinkTree.

Lastly, for hundreds of extra articles on gaming, weird history, and for more free fiction, check out my Vocal archive, too!

What The Hell is a Puzzle Board (And Why You Need One)


If you're like me, and you'd never heard of a puzzle board before, the simple explanation is they're a device used by jigsaw puzzle enthusiasts. The flat area in the center is huge (the Eneridio model pictured above is 28" by 40", for example), and as you can see there are shallow drawers all around it for storing extra pieces (or your map markers, as they're just big enough for that). Most models come with a reusable cover that slides over it which you can draw on (saving your mat underneath from stains), and most importantly, the good ones have a lazy Susan underneath that allows the board to be rotated to face any member of a table.

Just imagine all the campaigns you've had where it would have saved you so much time, energy, and effort, if you could just spin the board around to face you so that you had a clearer image of what was actually going on during a battle scene.

This is particularly true for big armies.

Now, while all of that is great, I will acknowledge that puzzle boards aren't cheap. The model I mentioned above is like $150, but you can find slightly smaller ones (26" by 35" if you go with the All4Jig model) for about $80. On the other hand, how many of us have spent that much on rulebooks, Kickstarters, or a set of really badass models? And like so many of our other gaming accessories, this is the sort of thing that if you regularly host games it can be a lifesaver.

It also fits under couches, beds, or on the top levels of high shelves, without too much difficulty. Assuming you don't have a dedicated gaming space where you can just leave it out.

Also, before I sign off this week, I'd like to remind folks that there's all kinds of weird finds on Amazon that can make your life easier. Like this old piece Need Cheap Minis? SCS Has You Covered! where I talk about those gray monsters pictured above!

Like, Follow, and Stay in Touch!


That's all for this week's Moon Pope Monday. To stay on top of all my content and releases, make sure you subscribe to my newsletter at the bottom of the page!

Again, for more of my work, check out my Vocal archive, and stop by the Azukail Games YouTube channel, or my Rumble channel The Literary Mercenary! Or if you'd prefer to read some of my books, like my dystopian sci-fi thriller Old Soldiers, my hardboiled gangland noir series starring a bruiser of a Maine Coon with Marked Territory and Painted Cats, my sword and sorcery novel Crier's Knife or my latest short story collection The Rejects, then head over to My Amazon Author Page!

To stay on top of all my latest releases, follow me on FacebookTumblrTwitter, and now Pinterest as well! To support my work, consider Buying Me a Ko-Fi, or heading to The Literary Mercenary's Patreon page to become a regular, monthly patron. That one helps ensure you get more Improved Initiative, and it means you'll get my regular, monthly giveaways as a bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment