Saturday, May 25, 2024

Everyone's Favorite Game: Fantasy Character or Prescription Medication?

Names are one of the hardest parts of any RPG character. Does this name convey the proper feeling you're looking for? Does it sound suitably fantastical? Is there a hidden joke in there for those who pay close attention?

Well, if you're getting stuck on this part of your character, consider looking through the names of medications for inspiration!

Afrin, elven cleric of the goddess of dreams.

As always, don't forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter to get all my updates right in your inbox. Also, if you've got a bit of spare cash that you'd like to use to help keep the wheels turning, consider becoming a Patreon patron! Also, be sure you're following all of my followables, check out my LinkTree.

Lastly, for hundreds of extra articles on gaming, weird history, and for more free fiction, check out my Vocal archive, too!

It's Ridiculous... But Roll With It!


This strategy is a little bit on the ridiculous side, but give it a whirl and see where it takes you! Because there are so many medicines out there for so many different conditions, and they can all act as a fun little in-joke for your next character.

As a for-instance, consider some of the following:

- Moxifloxacin: A drug that made me laugh just looking at the name, doesn't it sound like the stage name of a gnomish bard? If you really wanted to, you could event cut it into two names, if your party needs a little bit of Moxi!

- Warfarin: An ideal name for a dwarven fighter with a nasty, curved ax, Warfarin the Wanderer has a reputation that precedes him, and a road of bodies that stretch between his heels and the horizon. Blood thinning, indeed.

- Namenda, The Unwavering Eye: A monk of elven blood, Namenda has seen the world grow and change around them, and they have remained. Unchanging and unbowed, Namenda has never forgotten the things that came before.

- Naproxen: Trained by an obscure order of hospitalers, Naproxen's touch and a whispered prayer can remove pain, and get people back on their feet to march or fight again.

- Toridol: Toridol is a warrior who feels no fear, and feels no pain when in the grip of his battle fury. It is short lived, but during that brief window, he is all but invincible!

I'm not even feeling it!

These are just a handful of the medications on the market that have a fantasy-sounding names, and some examples of how you can tie them into your character's skillset, story, and powers.

If this little game isn't quite up your alley, though, you may find some of the following bundles from Azukail Games to be useful in coming up with some alternatives for your next characters!


Like, Follow, and Stay in Touch!


That's all for this week's Fluff post. To stay on top of all my content and releases, make sure you subscribe to my newsletter at the bottom of the page!

Again, for more of my work, check out my Vocal archive, and stop by the Azukail Games YouTube channel, or my Rumble channel The Literary Mercenary! Or if you'd prefer to read some of my books, like my dystopian sci-fi thriller Old Soldiers, my hardboiled gangland noir series starring a bruiser of a Maine Coon with Marked Territory and Painted Cats, my sword and sorcery novel Crier's Knife or my latest short story collection The Rejects, then head over to My Amazon Author Page!

To stay on top of all my latest releases, follow me on FacebookTumblrTwitter, and now Pinterest as well! To support my work, consider Buying Me a Ko-Fi, or heading to The Literary Mercenary's Patreon page to become a regular, monthly patron. That one helps ensure you get more Improved Initiative, and it means you'll get my regular, monthly giveaways as a bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment