Monday, February 4, 2019

Sometimes I Feel Like The Quigley of RPG Design

You ever seen Quigley Down Under? Aside from being the best Western that doesn't even pretend to be set in the Wild West, it is filled with memorable performances. Perhaps no scene is more famous than the ending, though, where it turns out our hero (who prefers the range and power of his rifle) is significantly more accomplished with a pistol than the villain would ever have believed.

If you haven't seen the scene, somehow, this is the one I'm talking about.


Sometimes I feel a lot like Quigley. Not because I possess levels of heretofore unknown badassery, but because for the past year or so I've had people looking at me in surprise and saying, "Wait, I thought you didn't make content for that game?"

And I'm over here like, "I said I preferred not to play it. Didn't say I didn't know how to design for it."

Something For All The Folks Out There To Think About


If you've read my blog, or seen the work I've contributed to other sites, then you know I have some very definite opinions about which games out there I like. However, just because I may not enjoy something in my free time as a player (or I may feel that game is choice four or five on a would-you-rather list), that doesn't mean I won't design content for it.

As soon as there's money involved, that changes the parameters completely.

Seriously, though, commerce takes precedent.
When I first proposed the 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons module False Valor, the reaction from my contact at TPK Games was, "Wait, I thought you hated this edition?" Or when my recent Azukail Games supplement 100 Characters You Might Meet in a Star Port for Starfinder came out, and people were confused by it, asking me why I would design for a game I had personally described as my biggest gaming disappointment of 2017?

Two points here. First, I don't hate most games I criticize on here. I just feel that they're a bad fit for me, as a gamer, and I recognize that for a lot of people out there these flaws aren't as important. In some cases they may even be considered features. But I am currently involved in at least one 5th Edition game, and if someone offered me a spot at a Starfinder game, I wouldn't kick it out of bed.

Second point. Because I enjoy tacos and having the power company off my back, I'm usually amenable to working on games that I would prefer not to play in my free time. Which is why I read through so many RPGs, and try out so many different systems. Because the games I enjoy most might not be the top sellers, so if lucrative contracts get floated my way I need the skill set to snatch them up, and keep my client happy.

This is Where You Come In


So why am I talking about this in this week's Monday installment? Well, because I want to hear from you, my readers. In short, if you have wanted to see my take on something, I want you to ask me for it.

Seriously, I can't have too many ideas.
Have you wanted to see me talk about more 5th Edition stuff, like I did with my homebrew poison Vile Bile made from a green dragon's breath weapon? Have you wanted to see more homebrew stuff from me in general? Do you want to see more of my 5 Tips For Playing Better Fantasy Races? Would you rather I write more class advice guides? Should I branch out into the World/Chronicles of Darkness? Do you want to see me write more modules? Any particular guides/supplements you've wanted to see my take on?

If you have a request, I'm listening.

And if you're a publisher looking for a freelancer, this goes double. Even if I prefer not to play a particular system, that doesn't mean I don't know how. And even if I don't know how, you get me a pdf of the rules, and I'll figure it out.

Anyway, that's all for this Moon Pope Monday post! If you have something you've been dying to request, then leave it in the comments below, or shoot me an email through the contact button. Or, if you just want to see more of a particular series, tell me that, too.

If you'd like to see more of the stuff I make, then check out my Vocal and Gamers archives, as well as the YouTube channel Dungeon Keeper Radio where I help out. Or if you'd prefer to see my fiction, then stop by My Amazon Author Page where you can find books like my sword and sorcery novel Crier's Knife!

To stay on top of all my latest releases, follow me on Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter. To help support me, consider Buying Me A Ko-Fi or heading over to The Literary Mercenary's Patreon page to become a patron. Every little bit helps!

3 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of your 5 tips series. Personally, I am a 5e player, but I got my start in Pathfinder so it isn't that hard for me to convert.

    Either way, keep up the awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy the (first edition) Pathfinder articles the most, as they are the reason I found this blog in my travels in the first place. I especially enjoy the gamecraft and theory articles, and I can honestly say that your series about alternative takes on classes like "rename the Ninja agent" and "any class can be a knight" have changed how I help my players build characters.

    Primarily, I experience my games through the GM screen, and so "Moon Pope Monday" is always a help, and your "how to deal with problem character concepts" (five archetypes we need to stop playing and how to play them anyway) articles are a godsend for showing to players that just don't quite get the thrust of "cooperative storytelling"

    Lastly, the "table manners" posts are a well of good advice for myself and my players whenever things start to break down, and a good lead for keeping the machine from reaching that point in the first place.

    In short, I come here 'cause I like what you do, and howh to see more like it in the future.

    Thanks much for everything so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's supposed to be "hope to see more like it". My apologies.

      Delete