Monday, August 19, 2024

Seeking Alternative Firearms For Your Game? Check Out "Sundara: Dawn of a New Age"!

As regular readers know, I've been putting out fantasy TTRPG supplements for my own setting Sundara: Dawn of a New Age for going on four years now. I started off with city guides, but then I wrote up supplements for playable species, the gods, and even the unique supernatural disasters that plague the setting called primquakes. There's over two dozen supplements when last I checked, and they're available for both Pathfinder Classic, as well as Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition.

I've taken something of a hiatus from the setting for a while because while I hadn't run out of ideas for it, I had been pushing a little hard on the gas, and there didn't seem to be as many folks interested in reading and using the books as I was in writing them. However, earlier today I was reminded of a unique aspect I'd added to several of the supplements (as well as the world), and I thought, "I must have talked about that before..."

But it seems I didn't, so this Monday I wanted to take a second to remind people that Sundara has some rather unorthodox firearm options, if you're looking for something to include in your game that isn't just the normal black powder muskets and hair-trigger pepperboxes.

Ah, your initiative was low? Shame... shame...

As always, don't forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter to get all my updates right in your inbox. Also, if you've got a bit of spare cash that you'd like to use to help keep the wheels turning, consider becoming a Patreon patron! Also, be sure you're following all of my followables, check out my LinkTree.

Lastly, for hundreds of extra articles on gaming, weird history, and for more free fiction, check out my Vocal archive, too!

Aether Weapons and Spell Warpers!


We've all had the conversations about black powder in our fantasy games. For some people, they feel it evokes the wrong kind of fantasy, and the wrong kind of time period. For others, the mass spread of guns should render more traditional methods of warfare (such as the armored knight on horseback) obsolete.

Those are all conversations you can, and should, have at your tables with your players so you can all figure out where you stand, and what you want to see. However, when I was working on Sundara, I wanted to give players more options, rather than less. And while the world has slowed down its expansion over the past year or so, I did have two rather unique alternatives to black powder weapons that still allow for gunslinger characters and firearm options that feel (at least in my opinion) more fantastical.

The first of those is aether weapons, which were made in Silkgift, The City of Sails.


Silkgift is a city whose main stock in trade is engineering, and invention. They create unique and unusual devices, and build things that most would say aren't possible without the aid of magic. From their water-driven machinery to their air-cooled homes, the city as a whole values ingenuity, creativity, and community... which is why the creation of one of the deadliest forms of weaponry in Sundara was, actually, something of an accident. During the ingeneurs' early experiments to build compressed gas reservoirs, an malfunction caused one to explode. The plug of the canister was driven through a wall, which led one of those present to wonder if they could build a tool that produced that result on purpose.

It was the creation of the superior material dragon steel, mass produced in the city of Ironfire, that led to reliable, safe, compressed air devices being built in Silkgift. This so-called aether technology comes in many shapes and forms, but one of the most recognizable are the hand weapons and two-handed rifles that use this pressurized air to deliver death to the wielder's enemies. These aether weapons use a simple pressurized reservoir of air which fires projectiles down the weapon's barrel. Inspired by the Giradoni air rifle, this is a unique option for those who want to have an unusual kind of gunslinger in their game.

For those who are interested in checking this out, consider the following supplements:


That isn't the only option for those who are looking for an unusual type of firearm in Sundara... but spell warper weapons are even more unique, and were made with an even darker purpose in mind.



Tightly controlled by Archbliss, the Floating City of The Sorcerers, spell warper weapons are built around a core of socerer's quartz; a unique material that can store magical energy like a battery. These weapons were first manufactured by House Torrent, the house of sorcerers that deals with evocation magic, and they were meant to allow the city's sorcerers to carry a deadly weapon on their person that could be used in the event they were either exhausted of their own magical energy, or which was simply not worth expending their own spells. Over time the weapons have been given to the city's guards and enforcers, and carrying one is typically a sign of fealty to the Floating City, or a sign that you managed to kill one of their representatives... both of which are marks of a person not to be trifled with.

These weapons require the expenditure of spell slots in order to charge them, though they can drain magic items like scrolls, wands, etc., to convert the stored magical energy into ammunition. Firing beams of force, spell warper weapons are often less effective against sorcerers and magic users, but they can be devastating against those who lack layered spell defenses. Many have whispered this is why the nobles were willing to give the weapons to those beneath them... after all, most sorcerers could easily protect themselves from these unique firearms, so they need not fear an uprising of those who had grown resentful of Archbliss's noble houses ruling over the city, and all those who lived in it.

If you'd like to get the supplements that detail these weapons, they're found in:


I Have Plans For More, If You're Interested...


My original plan, as with everything else in Sundara, was to give players more options, rather than fewer. And while I was going to have an origin for black powder eventually (I believe it was going to be goblin powder, found in the as-yet-unwritten Species of Sundara: Goblins), I didn't want that to be seen as the default. Whether it was compressed air, magical energy, the explosive bile of exotic creatures (putting a pin in that for the next time I revisit dragons), or other propellants, I wanted the types of weapons available to be more unique than players had in other games.

More importantly, though, I wanted open access. I didn't want to have weapons that were roped off, or only available in X, Y, or Z places, or in certain types of games. Even Archbliss, tight-fisted as they are, makes it clear that spell warpers can be found elsewhere in Sundara, even if one has never traveled to the floating city themselves.

So, if this little glimpse into my fantasy setting intrigues you, consider grabbing a few more of the supplements. There are 5 cities in total (thus far), 6 different species books, as well as a book on the gods, a book on merchants, a book of towns, and more! The more folks who show an interest in the setting, whether they use it as it stands, import it into their home games, or just use the mechanics and ideas I present, I'll be happy to keep adding as long as folks keep reading!

Like, Follow, and Stay in Touch!


That's all for this week's Moon Pope Monday. To stay on top of all my content and releases, make sure you subscribe to my newsletter at the bottom of the page!

Again, for more of my work, check out my Vocal archive, and stop by the Azukail Games YouTube channel, or my Rumble channel The Literary Mercenary! Or if you'd prefer to read some of my books, like my dystopian sci-fi thriller Old Soldiers, my hardboiled gangland noir series starring a bruiser of a Maine Coon with Marked Territory and Painted Cats, my sword and sorcery novel Crier's Knife or my latest short story collection The Rejects, then head over to My Amazon Author Page!

To stay on top of all my latest releases, follow me on FacebookTumblrTwitter, and now Pinterest as well! To support my work, consider Buying Me a Ko-Fi, or heading to The Literary Mercenary's Patreon page to become a regular, monthly patron. That one helps ensure you get more Improved Initiative, and it means you'll get my regular, monthly giveaways as a bonus!

1 comment:

  1. I would be interested in a book of spells or maybe just a supplement. New magic can be brought into a regular game as "lost" magic.

    ReplyDelete