Monday, July 4, 2016

Why HeroQuest is So Great!

The Internet is home to entire reservoirs of great gaming humor. Whether it's the latest memes about murderhobos, or another round of dice shaming, there's no bottom to the chuckle bucket. However, in the event that you missed the Bardic Broadcasts video on why HeroQuest is so great, then you need to have it in your life. Seriously, click play. You can thank me once the video is over.


While entertaining for me as a lover of RPGs, I'd never actually played HeroQuest. Like so many other older games that hadn't found its way past the censors into my childhood, I thought I'd see if I could find a copy. What I found was that this game, cashing in on the fantasy boom in the 1980s and 1990s (1989 release in the UK and Europe, 1990 release in the U.S.), is extremely rare. This adventure game scion, produced by the partnership of Milton Bradley and Games Workshop back before they evolved into what they are today, can run several hundred dollars for a used copy. With missing cards. And broken figures.

And if you want a new version of the game, in mint condition? Then you had better have a pocket book that doesn't shrivel up when it hears you say words like mint condition.

Seriously, though, you've spent more on less from Games Workshop.
And that's all for this week's Moon Pope Monday update. I hope you all enjoyed it, and that you learned a little something about one of the cornerstones of fantasy gaming for older generations. If you'd like to help support Improved Initiative, then why not stop by The Literary Mercenary's Patreon page? All it takes is $1 a month to keep the content coming, and you get free swag just for signing up! Lastly, if you haven't done so already, why not follow me on Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter? That way you won't miss any of my future updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment