Saturday, May 16, 2020

That One Time I Shocked Storytellers By Solving Vampire Plot With Violence

I discovered Vampire: the Requiem right around the time it was first released. It was my first exposure to Vampire as a game, and though I eventually tried Vampire: the Masquerade out as well, I found that I much preferred the mechanical simplicity and altered setting of Requiem. So, when I found out there was a Requiem LARP in my area many years ago I was thrilled to break out my best black suit and put in an appearance.

Fangs were optional, but I found a set to bring all the same.
This game was not my first rodeo when it came to LARPing, but it was one of the biggest regular games I'd been to in a long time. On a slow night there were 20 players, and on a busy night there could be as many as 50. And there was a lot of RP going on in this venue. Solid costuming, commitment to character, and generally a great venue to be a part of. It was the sort of place where a Harvard graduated psychiatrist who'd been around since the 1940s could feel comfortable discussing his work on post-life states and their effect on the psychological well-being of the Kindred. I met brothel owners, political movers and shakers, deranged artists, and tortured souls... but I noticed something that I thought was very strange the longer I played.

No one ever seemed to actually do anything when a threat presented itself. Ever.

Attention Everyone... There Are Hunters on Premises!


Generally speaking, there's supposed to be a diversity of skills and abilities in any Vampire LARP venue. Some players are going to lean more toward information brokering, some will have political influence, some will be more magically inclined, and at least a handful of them will be combat brutes. Normally these are the ones placed under control of the sheriff, and when something goes wrong they'll handle the issue.

What I started to realize the more characters I interacted with, and the more games I attended, was that practically every PC in the venue was focused on wealth, art, and status. No one had gained control of the police. No one had paid off the district attorney. No one had gangs of mortals ready to handle problems with a snap of their fingers. And while there were one or two vicious mongrels, those characters weren't always in attendance.

As a result, when plot did show up (albeit rarely), it seemed the venue's main course of action was to stick their fingers in their ears and wait for it to go away.

You want to go out there? Oooh... direct action. How novel!
I'd been attending game for roughly four months or so (long enough for my psychiatrist to grow an alternate and quite violent second personality for the Malkovian bloodline), when the sheriff came in and announced the venue Elysium was being held in was currently being surrounded by hunters. Plural. Since this was important enough to warrant a warning being given, I figured that something should happen. The extent of the reaction, though, was that there was a polite murmur of acknowledgement, and then everyone went back to cocktail hour.

I'd expected the Prince to wave his hand, and send out a squad to deal with the problem. Or at the very least for the sheriff to do something... instead he sat down and started playing cards with another Kindred. When Henry made anxious but polite inquiries about what was being done, he was told that nothing was being done. It was raining outside, and there was a barricade manned by mortals. As long as we stayed inside we would be safe.

That didn't sit well with Edward. So when Henry excused himself with the intent of leaving a dangerous situation, it was another man who took to the streets. A man with murder on his mind.

You Want To Kill Them? Well... I Suppose You Could...


Once the face switch had happened, I approached on the storytellers and told him my cunning plan. I'd been banking XP for the past several months, and had just spent most of it on increasing physical prowess and combat skills (since the character had begun as a genius and a doctor, he had some areas to compensate for). With the ability to turn himself invisible, and a full pool of blood to spend, Edward wanted to hunt the hunters.

I will never forget the look on the ST's face. He'd been helping run the Requiem game for over 5 years, and in all that time he had never once had a player walk up to him and declare they were going to initiate combat. He went from slightly mystified, to gleefully excited. It was the most life I'd seen out of the staff the entire time I'd been coming to the game, and the feeling was contagious.

Let it ride! Let's see how far you can take this...
Finding the hunters wasn't hard. They'd split up, and were converging on the Elysium from three different directions. Lightly armed and staggered out, they made for surprisingly easy prey.

The first went down in a single strike, as a broken broom handle rammed straight through his heart from behind. Drinking his fill, Edward left the body in a dumpster, and then retreated to begin the stalk once more. The second hunter trigged that something was up, but not fast enough. He survived the first skull-shattering blow from the shadows, but before he could scream had his throat torn out by a pair of fangs. The third hunter, realizing he was alone, tried to retreat. He backed right into Edward's embrace, meeting the same fate as those who came before.

The scene was tense, engaging, and despite the brutal slaying, I felt like my character was really at-risk for the first time since I joined the game. I had to leave soon after that, but the storyteller who'd run my scene was excitedly sharing the tale with the other members of the staff as I went. When they said they hoped I'd make the next game, there was an animation there I'd never heard before.

A Markedly Different Experience


Most Vampire players I speak to, regardless of which edition or setting they prefer, tend to have stories of games that are all combat all the time. Constant stand-offs with werewolves, honor duels and infighting, and dozens of other threats that must be handled with tooth and claw, blade and blood. And honestly, I long for that kind of experience. Because while I appreciated the thought, the energy, and the roleplaying that I experienced at the venue... I didn't realize until I was breaking the Hippocratic Oath along with a hunter's entire rib cage just how bored I'd been exchanging pleasantries and listening to players talk about imaginary mansions they'd bought with imaginary fortunes.

So remember... sometimes it's good to get the blood flowing. Because if you never feel like you're at risk, then there are no stakes in the game. Pun very much intended.

Next Time on Table Talk!


With so many games paused thanks to the pandemic, my Runelords tales are on-hold for the time being. But hopefully I can keep sharing a few amusing asides like this week's tale until we can finish out the last of that campaign. So stay tuned, and I'll see you next time on Table Talk!

For more of my work, check out my Vocal archives, as well as the YouTube channel Dungeon Keeper Radio where I help out from time to time. Or, to check out books like my sword and sorcery novel Crier's Knife or my recent short story collection The Rejects, head over to My Amazon Author Page!

To stay on top of all my latest releases, follow me on FacebookTumblr, and Twitter, as well as on Pinterest where I'm building all sorts of boards dedicated to my books, RPG supplements, and greatest hits. Lastly, to help support me and my work, consider Buying Me A Ko-Fi, or heading over to The Literary Mercenary's Patreon page to become a regular, monthly patron! Even a little donation can have a big impact.

3 comments:

  1. its always nice to see people abusing their freedom to post random bullshit - go away, scambastards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really annoying that you can't report or block them.

      Delete
  2. now to comment on the actual post - great writeup and i've faced the same BS in my own gaming - I organized a big hunt vs nasties killing innocents. we built up to it. i waited until we had a full channel (text based rp) to launch it.

    They looked up at the guy crying for help and went back to drinking ... We ended up playing it out as the 2 of 16 'players' who actually went to the 'event'.

    Another time I actually had a corpse gushing blood thorugh a tavern window to indicate yah, something going on! go see!

    Nope... t hey tried to pretend it didn't happen. I ended up kicking one of the players out who should have been covered in gore and said 'anyone else telling me t hey are refusing to acknowledge the ongoing scene?'

    One left. the rest actually said something like 'oh, my, what's going on?!' and participated - one by running away home, the rest by actually fighting and healing and thinking of how to stop the slaughter of townsfolk.

    sheesh. its like pulling teeth some days.

    ReplyDelete