Monday, December 7, 2020

Chronicles of Arcaea: A Solid "Module" For Pathfinder 2E Players

As most folks around here know, I'm on the record as someone who was not very impressed with Pathfinder's second edition. I felt it streamlined far too many aspects of the game, took away a lot of player customization, and I have a standing dislike of most games that lean on automatic progression as a character grows in experience. However, I'm also a realist, so I don't close my eyes, stuff my fingers in my ears, and pretend the new edition doesn't exist. It's why earlier this year I gave a shout out to the talented performers in Loaded Dice Rollers in Looking For A New Gaming Podcast? Check Out Loaded Dice Rollers!, after all.

Today I'm in rather a similar situation. So while I'm normally not a 2nd Ed. sort of guy, I can say that if it is your bag and you're looking for something new to try out then you should consider giving Chronicles of Arcaea by J Honea a look!

If you haven't come across it, don't worry, we'll get into it a bit.


4 Levels, and Over 200 Pages!


In a nut shell, the first book of Chronicles of Arcaea is a straightforward level 1-4 "module" or mini-campaign, depending on how you look at it. It's open to all base classes of the second edition, and players are encouraged to take on the role of traditional heroes as they protect average people from above average threats descending on them. The game is also structured in such a way that you can run it as a cohesive game, or as a series of one-shots, whichever better suits you and your players' style. There are even sections dedicated to things that often get overlooked, such as helping GMs craft effective encounters, and providing proper motivation for the PCs to get involved in all of this very dangerous nonsense.

The book is over 200 pages, though! What the hell is the rest of it dedicated to!?

For my two cents, that's where you get your money's worth. Because the rest of this book lays out the setting of Arcaea (or at least the parts you'll be playing in), giving you maps, cultures, gods, histories, and all sorts of other building blocks to help you really improve and expand your game. It's not a full world guide, not by any stretch of the imagination, but it's enough to give you a glimpse into what's being created. And while it might be a little rough around the edges (we don't all have our own art departments we can call on to slather on the polish), there's definitely solid creativity that will spark plenty of ideas in your mind as you go through it.

This Won't Be The Last We See of J Honea


While this is the only product up on Drive Thru RPG under his name at time of writing, it's far from the only thing the author has put out there. So check out J Honea's Facebook page, along with his Patreon page to help urge him to make more stuff!

And, if Pathfinder 2nd Edition is really your thing, you could do a lot worse than Chronicles of Arcaea as a starting point for your next campaign!

Like, Follow, and Stay in Touch!


That's all for this week's Moon Pope Monday. To stay on top of all my content and releases, make sure you subscribe to my newsletter at the bottom of the page!

Again, for more of my work, check out my Vocal archive, and stop by the YouTube channel Dungeon Keeper Radio. Or if you'd prefer to read some of my books, like my cat noir thriller Marked Territory, my sword and sorcery novel Crier's Knife or my latest short story collection The Rejects, then head over to My Amazon Author Page!

To stay on top of all my latest releases, follow me on FacebookTumblrTwitter, and now Pinterest as well! To support my work, consider Buying Me a Ko-Fi, or heading to The Literary Mercenary's Patreon page to become a regular, monthly patron. That one helps ensure you get more Improved Initiative, and it means you'll get my regular, monthly giveaways as a bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment