Monday, June 6, 2022

Looking For a Change of Pace? Grab a Copy of XCrawl!

We've all had those moments when our group has been on a little hiatus. Maybe it was end-of-campaign burnout and everyone needed a break, or life stuff happened and some members had to move, change jobs, or handle any of a dozen other things. But when you're looking to get the gang back together, you often want to do something a little different to bring some zest to your next game. Something a little off-the-wall. And if you've been looking for a spark to re-invigorate your group, then might I suggest trying out XCrawl if you haven't done so yet?

Seriously, this thing is a ball!

Before we get into it this week, don't forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter to get all my updates right in your inbox. Also, if you've got a bit of spare cash that you'd like to use to help keep the wheels turning, consider becoming a Patreon patron!

Lastly, to be sure you're following all of my followables, check out my LinkTree!

What The Hell is XCrawl?


Some of you may have come across this game before, or seen me talk about it in older entries on this blog. However, if you're utterly unfamiliar with this game, the elevator pitch for XCrawl is that it's what happens when WWE has a baby with DND. In a modern fantasy version of our world, dungeon crawling has become a major, televised event with Dungeon Judges lording over their arenas, and "crawlers" becoming one part celebrities, one part athletes, and one part stage persona as they compete for the public's viewing pleasure.

And as they say in Gladiator, you aren't the best because you kill quickly... you're the best when you win the crowd! Which is why crawlers tend to have signature moves, grandstanding and mugging checks (for playing to the audience or the camera, depending on), ring personas they can build up like legends in the minds of the audience, and why it's just as important that you look good when you win as it is that you win in the first place!

And the crowd is hungry for entertainment!

That is a pitch that sticks in your head. Especially when you consider that XCrawl is set in its own version of the 1980s (ish) where you add in elements of The Running Man, the rise of corporate power, and all of the social pressures going on in the American Empire outside the arenas themselves. This can give it a feeling that's almost akin to Shadowrun, especially if you start getting into political corruption, the false face of sports empires, market backstabbings, and whether the games are being used for nefarious purposes. So while you can run a campaign that's just televised dungeon crawls, you've got options for things you can do beyond that as well!

Now, I found the XCrawl core rulebook sitting in my hobby store years ago, and it was for the 3.0/3.5 version of DND. However, Goodman Games has ported this setting to a variety of different systems, including one for Pathfinder Classic for folks who want all the conversions done for them. There's also add-ons that cover additional aspects of the game and the setting such as XCrawl: Sellout which has additional information on gear, agents, fame, and more for players, along with adventures like Dungeonbattle Brooklyn for GMs who just want to pick up and play.

A Few Episodes or a Season, It's Up To You!


I've run XCrawl on and off over the years, usually as a one-shot for a convention game because its premise is absolutely wacky enough to get folks to sit down and play, but it doesn't wear out its welcome by the time the final boss falls. It's also flexible enough that you can make up shows, such as the one-shot I ran that I titled Jersey Shore: Undead! as a way of making fun of both reality TV and the way The Walking Dead had utterly saturated pop culture with zombies.

However, the current idea came from a line in the core book that I'd seen before, but forgotten about. To paraphrase, it recommends starting characters off at level 3 if they're going to be a Division IV team (which is where the death games come in). While you could run a Division III game if you feel you could make it interesting and engaging, the stakes are much smaller in arenas that are geared to be less than lethal.

And since I was still rolling with ideas after my Let's Talk About Non-Lethal Damage in Pathfinder post, I figured I'd actually go against the rulebook's recommendation and start my team off at the beginning of their story in the games. A Division III event called the Mall Crawl!

And you thought YOUR Black Friday sucked...

Because while the world of XCrawl is absolutely bonkers, I wanted to bring a gaggle of new players in at the bottom rung. They're discovering who they are, forming their team (in order to gain access to the precious Mojo that lets you spend resources for bonuses during the game), looking for sponsorship, and getting their feet under them... sure, that hobgoblin might not kill them, and that booby trap they set off is likely to be a firehose instead of a spiked pit trap of death, but they're going to have all kinds of stuff to deal with... like the judgment of the crowd when a bunch of nobodies step into the ring!

Anyway, I wanted to talk about that this week because I'm digging through the rulebook for the first time in a while, and whatever your preferred edition of the game, I think this is a setting that more people should really check out for themselves!

Like, Follow, and Stay in Touch!


That's all for this week's Moon Pope Monday. To stay on top of all my content and releases, make sure you subscribe to my newsletter at the bottom of the page!

Again, for more of my work, check out my Vocal archive, and stop by the YouTube channel Dungeon Keeper Radio. Or if you'd prefer to read some of my books, like my cat noir thriller Marked Territory, its sequel Painted Cats, my sword and sorcery novel Crier's Knife or my latest short story collection The Rejects, then head over to My Amazon Author Page!

To stay on top of all my latest releases, follow me on FacebookTumblrTwitter, and now Pinterest as well! To support my work, consider Buying Me a Ko-Fi, or heading to The Literary Mercenary's Patreon page to become a regular, monthly patron. That one helps ensure you get more Improved Initiative, and it means you'll get my regular, monthly giveaways as a bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment