Monday, November 2, 2020

Savage Company's "Infantryman's Handbook" Is a Lovely Little Addition To High-Caliber Pathfinder Games

I've had guns on the brain of-late, and since my entry Guns Really Aren't as Powerful as You Think in Pathfinder seems to have attracted a pretty large amount of attention I figured I'd embrace the black powder spirit this week. Because as I mentioned pretty explicitly in that post, I was talking about the common sorts of early firearms you find in most traditional Pathfinder games. If you wanted to overcome some of the major handicaps these weapons had, then you needed to advance the timeline a little and field firearms with a much bigger punch.

And that's where the Infantryman's Handbook comes into the picture.

For those who wondered if Doom Guy was secretly an orc...

Before I get into the meat of this, wanted to remind folks to subscribe to my weekly newsletter if you haven't done that yet. Also, since I've been staying away from the outside world, I've become something of a kitchen goblin. If you're wondering how that side project is coming, consider checking out 5 Things You Should Be Putting Mio In (Other Than Water).

What is This Book All About?


If you're not familiar with the Savage Company Campaign Setting, and you missed my review "Savage Company" is Out (And You Should Totally Get Your Copy Immediately!), I'll give you a very brief run-down. The game is compatible with Pathfinder's first edition, and it embraces the high-caliber kind of adventure you can have when you really cut loose with the weaponry stocked in the armory. Following the adventures of the titular Savage Company, a mercenary band made up largely of monstrous races, outcasts, and other unwanteds, the campaign guide provided a big slew of content. From new classes and races, to shiny new weapons, vehicles, and rules, it was all there and ready to rock. One part Mad Max, one part Warhammer 40k, and all parts Pathfinder, it was a refreshing breath of air for those who wanted to really double down on the first edition.

The Infantryman's Handbook builds on that by giving us a new and improved version of the signature class; the infantryman.

You've got to mold them into what you want.

In the original release, the infantryman was the child of the gunslinger in much the same way the samurai was the child of the cavalier. It was more than just an archetype, but there was enough common DNA that there was still a very noticeable relationship.

What this book does is offer a bunch of different archetypes for the infantryman. From the battering ram of the breacher, to the special forces style snake eater, all of these options allow you to customize your soldier's skills and roles so that you could realistically make an entire party of infantrymen to act as your adventure's main squad if you so desired. There's some fun bits of fiction woven into the document as well, but the other big additions all come in the gear section. From chain bayonets, to rocket launchers, to three dozen different types of grenades, there's plenty of extra firepower in the back if you're looking to really bring the thunder when it comes time to open up with the big guns in your game. And even if you're not really interested in more class options, the dakka is more than worth the price of admission, in my opinion.

By itself, Infantryman's Handbook is a lovely little piece of work. Though if you don't already have your own copy of the Savage Company Campaign Setting, I'd highly recommend picking that up as well. They two of them really work best if they're both in play!

Like, Follow, and Stay in Touch!


That's all for this week's Moon Pope Monday. To stay on top of all my content and releases, make sure you subscribe to my newsletter at the bottom of the page!

Again, for more of my work, check out my Vocal archive, and stop by the YouTube channel Dungeon Keeper Radio. Or if you'd prefer to read some of my books, like my cat noir thriller Marked Territory, my sword and sorcery novel Crier's Knife or my latest short story collection The Rejects, then head over to My Amazon Author Page!

To stay on top of all my latest releases, follow me on FacebookTumblrTwitter, and now Pinterest as well! To support my work, consider Buying Me a Ko-Fi, or heading to The Literary Mercenary's Patreon page to become a regular, monthly patron. That one helps ensure you get more Improved Initiative, and it means you'll get my regular, monthly giveaways as a bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment