Monday, July 10, 2023

Why I Will Have Fewer Community Created TTRPG Products Coming Out

Readers who've been following my release schedule have likely noticed a pattern for the past few years. I usually come out with two releases in any given month, and the first will either be a system or genre-generic supplement (like my recent 100 Body Mods and Augments For Your Sci Fi Game), and the second release will be something for an existing TTRPG setting made using a community content platform (like this week's recent release 100 Mediums, for use in the Chronicles of Darkness setting).

Seriously, check it out if you haven't yet!

Generally speaking, I've been doing things this way for years now as a way to stop my brain from getting too stuck in any particular rut. Some changes have been going on behind the scenes at Azukail Games, though, and I wanted to take a moment to make folks aware of them.

Before I get into the details, though, don't forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter to get all my updates right in your inbox. Also, if you've got a bit of spare cash that you'd like to use to help keep the wheels turning, consider becoming a Patreon patron! To be sure you're following all of my followables, check out my LinkTree!

Also, since it keeps getting lost in the shuffle, check out my Vocal archive for more articles about RPGs, character conversions, character concepts, weird history, nerdy topics, and more!

Costs and Earnings


No one makes a good living writing for TTRPGs; if you are part of this niche publishing community, at least 60% of the reason is because you love RPGs. To put that into a numbers perspective, a general, professional rate of pay for a writer is usually considered between 4 and 6 cents per word, though some have said that should be up to 8 cents per word due to inflation. There are few RPG companies who can afford to pay that rate, and I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've earned that much (Paizo and Storm Bunny Studios top the list, for those who are curious). Often times RPG writers will be offered 1 cent per word, half a cent per word, or in a lot of cases no up-front pay at all, and just a portion of the sales of the product.

And though I've quoted this number before, roughly 80% of products that go up on Drive Thru RPG don't even move 50 copies. So it's very possible that you could spend weeks to months jamming out word count on something, only to receive $5 and a hearty handshake for all your work.

I've been there more than once.

To re-iterate something that a lot of my readers miss, I do not own or run Azukail Games; I am merely a contributor there. I receive a percentage of sales on my supplements as a royalty, and I receive an up-front fee as well. Up until recently this was 1 cent per word... but recently this increased to 2 cents per word for all supplements that aren't part of a community creation platform.

This leaves me with a choice as a creator, but it's one I want my audience to understand, and to be aware of.

Because I've put out a lot of community content over the past several years. From World/Chronicles of Darkness supplements, to Pathfinder Infinite pieces, to a few Call of Cthulhu splats (like my recent 100 Gangsters, Gun Molls, and Goons NPC list for games set in Arkham during Prohibition), it's at least 25% of my total archive of gaming products. And I'm not saying that I won't ever pen another supplement for these platforms... but given how expensive everything around us is getting, it is asking a lot for a creator to take a 50% pay cut to work on that kind of content.

Unless, that is, the creator is making up the costs on the back end.

This is where that royalty payment comes in...

Numbers talk in the publishing world, and when things get noticed it's more likely that those product lines are going to get expansions and extensions. So whether you want to see more of my WoD/CoD supplements, more Pathfinder Infinite products, or even more Call of Cthulhu stuff, the best way for you to help make that happen is to get a copy of them for yourself (they're only a couple of bucks, after all). And if you've already bought a copy, leave a review on DTRPG, Storyteller's Vault, or Pathfinder Infinite, and share the link on your socials so that other people can see the supplements you like. I'm doing everything I can to move copies as a creator, but user reviews are far more effective than even my best sales pitch out in the wilds of social media.

And, of course, the more sales something has, the more metal badges it earns, which ranks it higher and higher in the site's algorithm, which means more people are likely to see it going forward. So if you are one of those folks who wants to help make it tenable for me to keep making supplements on these platforms, consider checking out what I have already:


Those are, of course, just a sample of the 161 total products I have on DTRPG (as of time of writing, at least). And though I've said this before, I feel it's important to repeat this for anyone who hasn't heard it yet... my publisher pays attention to our numbers. When supplements get a lot of interaction, a lot of sales, notable positive reviews, etc., it becomes much easier to get more supplements like those approved. So if you see something you like, and you want to send me a message to make more of it, please do your part to help me reach fresh eyes, and new plateaus... because that is how decisions get made in publishing.

Also, Speaking of New Games...


While we're on the subject of games, audience reaction, and sending a message about what you want to see more of, my first full TTRPG "Army Men: A Game of Tactical Plastic" is available for pre-order on BackerKit! It made the funding goal on Kickstarter, but we didn't smash it hard enough to guarantee expansions, future supplements, and so on. If you want to help make sure that happens, though, consider pre-ordering your copy today, and telling your friends about this game.

And if you missed it when I was talking non-stop about Army Men, check out some of my earlier posts about it below!


We need all the support we can get!

Like, Follow, and Stay in Touch!


That's all for this week's Moon Pope Monday. To stay on top of all my content and releases, make sure you subscribe to my newsletter at the bottom of the page!

Again, for more of my work, check out my Vocal archive, and stop by the Azukail Games YouTube channel, or my Rumble channel The Literary Mercenary!. Or if you'd prefer to read some of my books, like my sword and sorcery novel Crier's Knife, my dystopian sci fi thriller Old Soldiers, or my latest short story collection The Rejects, then head over to My Amazon Author Page!

To stay on top of all my latest releases, follow me on FacebookTumblrTwitter, and now Pinterest as well! To support my work, consider Buying Me a Ko-Fi, or heading to The Literary Mercenary's Patreon page to become a regular, monthly patron. That one helps ensure you get more Improved Initiative, and it means you'll get my regular, monthly giveaways as a bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment