Thursday, August 17, 2023

"The Final Lamentation" is Out! (And There's More To Come)

Back in April I released my latest Warhammer 40K fan story The Final Lamentation, which tells the tale of Astin Furon, the last of a squad of Lamenters taken prisoner onboard a Black Legion ship. Things go poorly, of course, as the bad luck of this cursed chapter manifests itself, leading to ship-wide mayhem.

The story was, as far as my short fiction on Vocal goes, mostly a flash in the pan. When last I checked, the reads on the story had barely broken triple digits. Then the audio version by A Vox in The Void dropped, and it is doing really well! At time of writing it's sitting at around 53K views, and it was only released 5 days ago!


That's a really solid debut, and my hope is that this kind of attention from the audience means that I can keep this train rolling!

Before we get into the nitty gritty this week, don't forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter to get all my updates right in your inbox. Also, if you've got a bit of spare cash that you'd like to use to help keep the wheels turning, consider becoming a Patreon patron! Also, be sure you're following all of my followables, check out my LinkTree.

Lastly, for hundreds of extra articles on gaming, weird history, and for more free fiction, check out my Vocal archive, too!

Delving Deeper Into The Grim Darkness of The Far Future


Back in March on this very segment, I laid out a plan for where I'd like to go with some of my Warhammer 40K fan stories. The details can be found in Gathering The Grimdark (Tying My Warhammer 40K Shorts Together) for those who missed it, but it involves taking the 3 major threads of characters and stories that I've laid down (Inquisitor Hargrave and her retinue from Field Test, Kill Team Errant from my Deathwatch story Blackest Knights, and Crixus's journey of vengeance that began with Waking Dogs) and tying them all into a single narrative that leads to a conclusion for multiple stories.

Of course, as with any other fiction project of mine, whether or not this happens depends on you all as my readers and listeners!

Raise your banners! The crusade begins today!

So what can you all do to help make sure that I keep this project going, tie off the threads I have so far, and possibly start some new ones? Well, I'm going to need your ears, your eyes, and your voices!

First, Help Increase My Reads


Real talk, here. I may be the author of these stories, but I do not draw nearly as much traffic as when they appear on A Vox in The Void with an audio cast. But if you want to help show me, directly, how many people are reading my stories, then please check them out, and share them with like-minded folks who may be interested in joining the audience!

Crixus's Stories (Renegade World Eater)

- Waking Dogs: Crixus awakens from the haze of the Butcher's Nails, and decides that he and his brothers have been a plague on the galaxy long enough.

- Broken Chains: The Skull Cutters warband is invading a hive city, when something goes wrong. Crixus has a score to settle with the band's Captain, and either he or his former sergeant is going to die tonight.

Inquisitor Hargrave (Inquisition)

- Field Test: Hargrave came to a world in the path of an ork waaaaugh, and promised them a weapon that would destroy the greenskins. What that weapon is, though, shocks even the hardened commander of the planet's garrisoned force.

Kill Team Errant (Deathwatch)

- Blackest Knights: Kill Team Errant has a reputation for efficiency, and a refusal to surrender. When they find themselves on a drukhari ship rescuing a captured inquisitor, though, they find out there's something far more valuable on this ship even than a member of the Ordo Malleus.

Other Stories

- Gav and Bob Part IV: The Emperor's Hand: The Word Bearers were ready for anything when they began their ritual to swallow an entire world into the warp... anything except the intervention of the Imperium's bravest ogryn, that is!

- Broken Heroes: When Renn led a team into the wilds to recover a prototype weapon, he knew it would be dangerous. Hemmed in on all sides, and ready to face death, he never expected to find something capable of destroying an entire hive of Dead Heads... something that's been waiting in stasis to be awoken to finish a fight it began thousands of years ago.

Second, Help Increase My Views


Not all of us have time to sit down and dedicate our eyeballs to a screen these days. However, if you like to listen to audio dramas while you're on the bus, at the gym, going for a walk, or just painting minis, then drop by A Vox in The Void, subscribe to the channel, and give the stories there a listen! Most of the stories I've linked to on this page either have an audio rendition over there, or will have one shortly, but when you're done with my stories, go back through the archive and give the others a listen as well!

Most importantly, though, leave comments on the stories you like, and give feedback. You can just say, "I really liked this story!" or you could leave requests for future narrations, ask questions, etc. Interaction is key to helping channels grow, and helping creators get the support they need to keep creating!



Lastly, Something 40K Adjacent


If you've already gone through all of my previous stories, but you still find that you could go for one more helping of gigantic, genetically-engineered soldiers in a dystopian setting, then you should also check out my novel Old Soldiers. This book follows Pollux, a colossal shock trooper forged to fight in the Hyperion Conflict, trying to live his life as a civilian in a world never meant for him, or those like him. When a violent conspiracy seems to be gunning for him, he assembles the remains of his old squad to get to the bottom of what's happening... but what if it's all mixed up in his head, and he simply can't live in a world where there isn't a war to fight, or an enemy to oppose?

Get your copy today!

Alternatively, if you're in the market for even more audio drama content, make sure you check out my channel The Literary Mercenary over on Rumble, as well as the Azukail Games YouTube channel where I put together all kinds of stories taken from my TTRPG supplements. There's all sorts of stuff out there, so read, listen, and consume away!

Just remember that it's the stories and projects that get attention that get sequels... so if you want more of something, make sure you make your voice heard!

What's Next on Table Talk?


That's it for this installment of Table Talk! What would you like to see next? I'm listening for your comments and votes!

For more of my work, check out my Vocal archives, as well as the YouTube channel for Azukail Games. Or, to check out books like my sword and sorcery novel Crier's Knife, my dystopian sci-fi thriller Old Soldiers, or my recent short story collection The Rejects, head over to My Amazon Author Page!

To stay on top of all my latest releases, follow me on FacebookTumblr, and Twitter, as well as on Pinterest where I'm building all sorts of boards dedicated to my books, RPG supplements, and greatest hits. Lastly, to help support me and my work, consider Buying Me A Ko-Fi, or heading over to The Literary Mercenary's Patreon page to become a regular, monthly patron! Even a little donation can have a big impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment