Monday, June 12, 2023

What System and Setting Supplements Would You Like To See in The Future?

As my regular readers saw in last week's post, I Have Officially Broken 150 TTRPG Supplements!, I've hit something of a career milestone. However, being an RPG designer doesn't pay so well that I can actually kick up my feet and take a day off. No, I'd probably need to have 1,000 supplements on the market before I could contemplate that kind of luxury.

So since I have a long way to go until I can stop writing new supplements, I figured I'd take this Monday's update to ask my readers what it was you'd like to see more of, and what would persuade you all to open up your pocket book as players.

It's been one hell of a journey, and I've got a long way to go still...

Don't forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter to get all my updates right in your inbox. Also, if you've got a bit of spare cash that you'd like to use to help keep the wheels turning, consider becoming a Patreon patron! To be sure you're following all of my followables, check out my LinkTree!

Also, since it keeps getting lost in the shuffle, check out my Vocal archive for more articles about RPGs, character conversions, character concepts, weird history, nerdy topics, and more!

First Things First, What System/Setting Do You All Want?


Out of those 150 supplements (or 151, now that I've had a new release recently), I've covered a lot of different games and settings. And while part of that was to help keep my mind sharp so that I didn't get too bogged down in only doing one thing over and over again, it also means my catalog has a lot of different facets to it. Those include:

And you've got quite a lot of choices.

- Pathfinder/Golarion: As of time of writing, I have 2 Pathfinder Infinite supplements on the market: 150 Sights to See (And Rumors to Hear) in Absalom, and 100 Books to Find Across The Inner Sea. I love Golarion as a setting, and I really enjoy making stuff for it, but it's been a tough sell thus far.

- Call of Cthulhu: Another game I've dipped my toe into, my 2 supplements for this setting (that have been released so far) are 100 Businesses to Find in Arkham, as well as my recently released 100 Gangsters, Gun Molls, and Goons, which is also set in the iconic town of Arkham.

- World/Chronicles of Darkness: I've got a slew of stuff for these games, and while I haven't touched on all the spheres, I've covered quite a lot. So far I've hit Geist: the Sin Eaters, Changeling: The Lost, Mage: The Awakening, Vampire (both Requiem and Masquerade), Werewolf: The Apocalypse, and even general use WoD/CoD supplements. It's probably easier to just go to the World of Darkness Pinterest Board I've set up to see the 40+ supplements I've put together for these games.

- Sundara: Dawn of a New Age: My personal setting Sundara: Dawn of a New Age has been putting out content pretty regularly for about two years now. While there was a bit of a hiccough due to the OGL shenanigans, it's certainly on the table for expansions in both Pathfinder classic and DND 5E, as well as other systems folks might request. A mostly-complete list of Sundara's releases can be found in my post If You Want To See More of a Game, Help Make It Popular!

- Setting/Game Neutral: This category covers all my supplements that aren't specific to a particular game, or a particular setting, but are more meant to be used within a given genre. It's where you find stuff like 100 Knightly Orders For a Sci Fi Setting, or 10 Fantasy Villages. It's honestly the bulk of my supplements, because these are the ones that folks seem to respond to the most.

Secondly, What Sort of Products Interest You Most?



In addition to the particular game system and game setting (or the lack thereof), there's also the matter of what category of supplement folks want to see most. So would you like to see more:

- Fiction: Whether it's something like Tales From The Moot for Werewolf, or The Irregulars for Golarion, I really enjoy writing fiction (as evidenced by all of the audio dramas you can find on the Azukail Games YouTube channel). However, we're talking about what you want as the audience, here.

- Modules: While this one has often been suggested, modules have traditionally been one of the worst-selling types of supplements. But whether folks want to kick in the teeth of a fantasy version of the proud boys in False Valor, or get involved in bizarre fey dangers in The Price of Iron, I'd recommend grabbing a few of my existing modules to get a feel for the sort of thing you're likely to get going forward if you choose this option.

- Numbered Lists: Honestly the most popular supplement type, this can include everything from 100 Body Mods and Augmentations For a Sci Fi Game, to 100 Cults to Encounter, to the very meta bestseller 100 Tips and Tricks For Being a Better Game Master. While there may be as few as 10 entries of great detail, or as many as 100 shorter ones, these lists are good for both players and Game Masters alike to help fill out a character background, setting, etc.

- Setting Guides: A catch-all category for supplements that add locations, spells, feats, equipment, etc., to a setting, this is where I'd put books like Cities of Sundara: Ironfire or Sellswords of Sundara. While I've only made these for my own setting thus far, I could easily expand them to cover cities for the Chronicles of Darkness, add to areas already established in Golarion, and so on, if that was something readers were interested in.

Ultimately, It's Going To Be Up To You!


I've said it before, but it bears repeating. Generally speaking, I tend to go where the audience interest is, and where the sales come from. So even if I want to make something for a particular setting, rules system, or in a particular format, if I know that it isn't going to make enough sales to warrant the time and energy I'm putting into it, that project goes onto the back burner. And rather than throwing blind-folded darts and hoping for the best, I'd rather have my readers tell me straight-up what they'd like to see from me, and what they want to get copies of.

So don't be shy! Let me know in the comments section below, on my social media pages, or just in the comments of whatever forum you happened to find this link in what you'd like to see from me next! My ears are open, and as I alluded to at the start of this blog, I'm not going to be able to take any kind of break for the foreseeable future.

Like, Follow, and Stay in Touch!


That's all for this week's Moon Pope Monday. To stay on top of all my content and releases, make sure you subscribe to my newsletter at the bottom of the page!

Again, for more of my work, check out my Vocal archive, and stop by the Azukail Games YouTube channel, or my Rumble channel The Literary Mercenary!. Or if you'd prefer to read some of my books, like my sword and sorcery novel Crier's Knife or my latest short story collection The Rejects, then head over to My Amazon Author Page!

To stay on top of all my latest releases, follow me on FacebookTumblrTwitter, and now Pinterest as well! To support my work, consider Buying Me a Ko-Fi, or heading to The Literary Mercenary's Patreon page to become a regular, monthly patron. That one helps ensure you get more Improved Initiative, and it means you'll get my regular, monthly giveaways as a bonus!

2 comments:

  1. I am a Pathfinder 1st edition fan, so of course that interests me the most as does the setting for Golarion, but I think you would best be served by doing generic numbered lists like the best and worst drinks you would find in a fantasy bar. Or how about the shops found in a fantasy city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you check my content on DTRPG, you'll find that a majority of my supplements are lists like the one's you've already mentioned. There's dozens of them to choose from. "100 Merchants to Encounter," in particular, is currently an Electrum seller if you haven't checked it out yet!

      https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/258146/100-Merchants-to-Encounter?affiliate_id=688223

      Delete